Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Thinking About Mountains

A White Mountain remote pond.
Lately I've been craving a trip to the mountains. While I've had a lot of great fishing this winter/spring, it's mostly been in places like Eastern MA and Wisconsin. While I can't complain about the fishing, those places are pretty flat. There's something special about hills and mountains that I can't quite describe, but which is always obvious when fishing in those places.

Somewhere in the Berkshires...

Luckily it should be less than a month before I can head for the hills and fish. I'll probably start in the Berkshires, on a small stream in the Deerfield Watershed. As we move into June and the water gets warmer, I'll head up to the White Mountains. I can't wait to make a return to the remote pond I visited last year around this time, especially since it could be a long time before I get back there once I move to Wisconsin. There's also something special about White Mountain streams. The fish tend to be a little smaller than in MA, but they exist in great numbers in nearly every stream. You almost never run into another angler, but if you do, there's always another stream just a couple of minutes away.

A remote pond brook trout.
If all goes according to plan, this blog should be plastered with pictures of trout and mountain views. Unfortunately time can only move so fast!

1 comment:

  1. I'll be up there at least once in May/June. Let me know if you're heading up there during that time frame - or maybe we'll just happen to run in to each other again!

    ReplyDelete