Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Wild Brookies and Browns in Western MA


Yesterday I took a trip to one of my favorite streams. It originates in the hills to the west of the Quabbin reservoir before eventually working its way down to the Connecticut river. This stream holds both wild brook and brown trout, including some large specimens of each, and is stocked in the lower sections.

massachusetts small stream wild brook trout fly fishing

I started out in a meandering meadow stretch full of woody debris and deep pools. I decided to start out with an Elk Hair Caddis, which produced as usual. As I moved upstream I caught small brookies and browns in nearly every pool.

massachusetts small stream wild brown trout fly fishing

massachusetts small stream wild brook trout fly fishing

massachusetts small stream wild brook trout fly fishing
Can you spot the trout?
One of the best spots of the day was this pool below a small beaver dam. I saw some fish rising, so I worked my way out to a gravel bar just downstream to make a cast. I pulled 3 or 4 brookies out before the action stopped.

The Beaver Pool
massachusetts beaver pond wild brook trout fly fishing


massachusetts beaver pond wild brook trout fly fishing

Later I moved downstream to an area dominated by wild browns. The water in this stretch was low for this time of year, but it was still cold. In the first big pool I saw some rises, but I was using a wooly bugger. I decided to cast the bugger to them anyway, and I got a take. I landed this stocked brookie pretty easily - probably because he only had half a tail!

massachusetts beaver pond wild brook trout fly fishing

A little bit farther upstream there's a deep channel underneath a footbridge. I found this nice wild brown there and he put up the best fight of the day.

massachusetts small stream wild brown trout fly fishing

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking water and fairly large for a Quabbin feeder stream. I need to get off the Millers and more into the woods. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      This is actually not a Quabbin feeder - it originates in the hills near the Quabbin, but it flows west into the CT valley.

      It's definitely worth getting out on some small streams! They're fishing great right now, but they might get a little low/warm if we don't get some rain soon.

      Delete
  3. I live in ma have been trying to find wild brown trout any advice would be appreciated

    ReplyDelete