Saturday, April 30, 2016

Signs of Spring: Flowers and Aggressive Bass

Yesterday was the first nice day in a while here in Minnesota. It's been gray and rainy all week, but yesterday was sunny, so I decided to walk down to the river.
Tulips in bloom on campus
Large-flowered Bellwort
On the way I saw many signs that spring is really here. Maple trees are leafing out, tulips are coming up, and apple, crabapple, and redbud trees are in full bloom.

Last few Anemone acutiloba flowers
The water was high and dirty thanks to the rain (well, it's always dirty) but the fish were aggressive. I hooked into 5 smallmouth, but only managed to land 2. They were fighting a lot harder than they did a few weeks back - most likely due to the warmer water temperatures. The downside of the higher water is that my mobility on the bank was somewhat limited, so I decided to call it a day after hooking those 5 fish at my usual spot.

This guy was missing a mandible
Yum....
I graduate in 2 weeks, then it's back to Massachusetts for the best trout fishing of the year!

Flowering Crabapples
Wild Violets are everywhere right now

No comments:

Post a Comment