Monday, January 4, 2016

A New Stream

A Wild Brook Trout Stream on Mt. Wachusett Massachusetts Fly Fishing

Back in mid-December I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather to explore a stream flowing off the flanks of Mt. Wachusett. Normally I wouldn't try a stream like this during winter, as the high-elevation source means it will have relatively cold water. But thanks to the warm weather, I figured I had a shot at some fish.

A Wild Brook Trout Stream on Mt. Wachusett

The stream was flowing well, which was perfect for my favorite cold weather technique, fishing streamers downstream. Once the road was out of sight, it felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. Both banks of the stream are densely forested with hemlock and mountain laurel, but the stream is wide enough to permit some overhead casting.

It wasn't long before I found fish. I pulled in a nice brookie from a slow pool under a log.


I had several more strikes as I moved downstream, but they all got off. There's still several miles of stream I haven't yet explored, so I'm excited to see how the rest fishes come spring.

Massachusetts Fly Fishing


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful stream and nice sized fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of my favorite streams :). You are so right, get up out of the area around the road, and you feel like you are miles from anywhere!
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of my favorite streams :). You are so right, get up out of the area around the road, and you feel like you are miles from anywhere!
    Will

    ReplyDelete