Sunday, April 17, 2016

My First Carp

Earlier this week I caught my first carp. I went to the river looking for smallmouth, and I caught one right off the bat in my usual spot.

I moved up the shoreline a few feet and slowly worked my streamer along the bottom. About 15 feet from shore I felt a tug and pulled up, but felt an enormous weight on the other end. The fish immediately went on a run, sending my reel spinning out of control. I had some heavy mono from a spinning rod on as tippet, so I was able to get control of the fish. For 5 minutes he fought, allowing me to get him close, only to flick his tail and make a run back towards deeper water. When I finally got him in I was disappointed he wasn't a huge smallmouth, but happy to have caught my first carp and one of my biggest fish of all time.


I got one more smallmouth as the sunset before turning for home.


To keep with the theme of my last few posts, here are some more flowers I saw this week:

Rue Anemone
Bloodroot
Sharp-lobed Hepatica
Not quite sure what this is, but I think it's a wild plum or cherry (Prunus).

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Blind catch too, that is as literal as 'needle in a haystack' gets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep... The water was murky so it was ~15 feet away from me and I didn't even know it. I've only seen carp at this spot one other time, so it could be a while before I get another!

    ReplyDelete