Wednesday, January 13, 2016

A Salter Weekend: Day 2

On the second day of my salter weekend I woke up early, then left my home base (my grandmother's house) with Geoff to hit the streams. The weather called for highs in the mid 40s and cloudy skies - perfect conditions for salter fishing. Salters are usually pretty spooky, so the overcast sky really helped.

We arrived at the first stream just as the tide was receding. We found the estuary with more water than usual and slightly stained, which added further protection against spooking fish. We started out swinging streamers in the first pool we came to, one where I've caught many of my best salters. Geoff fished first, getting several bites before finally hooking up with a nice, fat salter. I decided to try the pool next. On the first few casts I got nothing, but then I felt a solid tug on my line as stripped my size 14 streamer. I pulled up on the rod and so a bright, wide flash. The fish fought like a pull, trying to pull to the bottom of the deep pool. Luckily, my 2-weight performed perfectly, allowing me to quickly guide the fish into Geoff's waiting net.

This was possibly the biggest salter I've ever caught, up there with this fish. After a couple pictures and a GoPro release shot, it was back into the pool for this fish.

We moved from the estuary and caught several more nice, albeit smaller, brookies around the weeds growing in the water farther upstream.


Soon after we left to meet my friend Aaron at another stream. Here we fished in a flat, but deep, section near the estuary. Though the water appeared featureless, we found brookies consistently throughout the stretch. We practiced "Pack Fishing", with one person fishing until they got a hookup, then moving downstream 15-20 feet for the next person to fish. We each caught several fish with this technique, before deciding to call it a day and head back to home base to warm up by the fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment