Sunday, January 17, 2016

More Salters, and a Big Surprise

Massachusetts Sea Run Salter Brook Trout

On Friday I went back down to the Cape for some Salter fishing. I'm back in MN now, so I decided to try to fish where my odds would be highest before I left. It was between Salter streams and the Swift, but I think I made the right choice.

Spring-fed waters allow green plants to grow year round
I caught 4 brookies out from under the brush in this bend pool
I started out around 8 AM, when it was about 25 F. The fish were not as aggressive as last weekend, so a slower retrieve was key. Once I figured that out, I consistently found fish in deeper water. I got more than one fish from several pools, so I think the fish may be podding up for winter in the deeper pools.


After catching quite a few brookies, I found myself at the pool below. It looked like nice water, but nothing special.


I let my fly drift by the woody debris in the water, when I saw a sudden flash. I pulled up, and saw an enormous fish on the other end of the line. I thought it was the salter of a lifetime, but as I got it closer I saw a flash of pink. Fortunately, the stream was small enough that there was no room for the fish to run, so I was able to land the rainbow quickly, even on my 2 weight.


This stream isn't stocked, but the pond at its source, 2 miles upstream, is. So even though it's a stocker, it's pretty cool to see it where I caught it. Also it's by far the biggest fish I've ever caught out of a stream this small.

Massachusetts Sea Run Salter Brook Trout

After the rainbow I caught a few more brookies, then moved on to another stream. I knew the tide would be rising when I arrived, so I decided to check out the mouth of the stream at the bay. I've never caught a fish there, but I know the fish are there at least some of the time, so I decided it was worth a shot. I didn't catch anything this time either, so I moved upstream to more familiar waters. The tide was high, but I managed to get one nice fish out of the murky waters. After that I called it a day, leaving in time to beat rush hour traffic home.
Massachusetts Sea Run Salter Brook Trout
Largest of the day - caught in the estuary at high tide


2 comments:

  1. M.T. Mayo Corp.GB Sons is a licensed drain-layer general contractor that provides water tie ins and sewer tie in many Eastern Massachusetts Communities.
    To learn more see here-water tie in Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete
  2. If an earthquake, hurricane, winter storm or other disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water and electricity for days or even weeks.
    You Can see more in : water tie in Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete