Monday, January 11, 2016

A Salter Weekend: Day 1


I spent the past weekend fishing for salter brook trout in Southeastern MA. From Friday to Sunday I fished the Quashnet River, Mashpee River, and Red Brook several times each. Luckily, the weather was mild, which in addition to the relatively warm springs feeding these streams, lead to great fishing conditions.

Fat for its size

On Friday I started out at the Mashpee River.  Here I started fishing in a relatively open area of the estuary. I caught several fish along the underwater weeds in the stream. This was very different from a typical pocket water trout stream - the water's surface was almost completely flat, so instead of using the currents to read the water, you had to look for structure. I was fishing small streamers downstream, so I could see the fish flash just before they hit my fly.


Later in the afternoon I moved on to the Quashnet River. Here I fished much farther upstream from the ocean. The Quashnet was similar in size to Red Brook, but with a much more wadeable gravel bottom. There was tight overhead vegetation, but there was enough room to drift a streamer downstream and then hang it in the current - my preferred technique for winter brook trout.

Largest of the day

I caught several more fish here, including the biggest of the day. After catching a few I called it a day and began to plan for the nest day's fishing.


To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Coleman. I hope you are having a good day. Looks like a great trip. Exciting you are moving to Madison - great area for everything, and the fishing is fantastic in the driftless. My wife is from Mn and I've enjoyed some good fishing out there over the years. Looks like you have as well!
    We should connect to fish a small stream prior to you moving. Happy to share intel, especially about Quabbin area streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! I'm headed back to MN for my last semester of school this weekend, but I'll be back from mid-May to the end of June. Should be a great time to fish a small stream! I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to send a private message with my email address.. if not I can make a temporary email, and you can email me from there and I'll get back to you with my real email.

      Delete