Monday, April 27, 2015

Urban Fly Fishing: Smallmouth bass in the Mississippi

I had a few hours free after class today, so I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and fish. I walked the mile to the Mississippi and worked my way down the steep bluff to the river's edge.


In my several attempts to fish here in the last few years I haven't caught anything, but I have seen a few jumps, so I know they're around. Most of the shoreline is shallow and sandy, but I found a spot where the outflow of a storm drain leaves a culvert perched just above water level. The water leaving the culvert has dug out a deep hole that I knew just had to hold fish.


I worked a black wooly bugger through the deep section without a bump, so I decided that I might as well practice casting. I aimed at the spot where water from the culvert meets the surface. I stripped the fly in once, then felt a strong pull.There was a flash at the end of my line, then the fish dove deep into the murky water, taking line as it went. After a strong fight I landed a nicely sized smallmouth.


Three others followed in the remaining hour I spent fishing. I still prefer trout to bass, but it was fun catching some nice fish in a cool spot. Plus, you can't beat fishing a mile from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment