Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Perfection Loops

I recently learned to tie the perfection loop knot. It's usually used to create a loop at the butt end of the leader, and it works great for that purpose, but I've been tying them into the tippet end of my leader. This way I can attach pieces of tippet quickly and easily with an improved clinch knot. This is the great in cold weather when its hard to tie more complicated knots.

Here's a good animated tutorial to tie the perfection loop.

When I tie a loop the end of my leader I try to make the it as small as possible. I tie the knot loosely at first, then feed extra line from the loop into the knot and pull out slack with the tag end.

See Diagram:
I usually put a thumb tack through the loop into my desk as I tighten the loop. It helps protect the slipping through the knot as I tighten and it's about the same diameter as the loop I want. It took me a few tries to get it down, but overall I find this knot fairly easy to tie. I've appreciated the easy tippet changes and longer leader life this loop provides. My only worry is that it may not be as strong as conventional knots,  but so far I haven't had a problem.

This probably isn't the most conventional set up, but I'm fine with unconventional if it functions the way I want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment