Sunday, April 12, 2015

Nice Weather and a Brook Trout

I think I was the only one up at 6:30 on a Saturday...

I fished yesterday morning, hoping to take advantage of a nice day before the Lower Kinni got crowded.

Leaving St. Paul at sunrise

I arrived at the parking lot at 7:30, happy to see I was only the third car there. Unfortunately it was still cold in the canyon, so I spent an hour cleaning ice off my guides before I decided to move upstream in search of warmer waters.

Kinni Canyon
More Canyon










I drove to a small tributary to the Upper Kinni and almost immediately had a hit in the first pool I fished. That fish got off, but a few casts later I pulled in this nice brookie. I had several more hits in the same pool, but I failed to hook up with any of them. 

Nicely colored wild brookie

With the sun getting higher in the sky, I decided to fish a shaded stretch of the Upper Kinni where my shadow would be less likely to spook fish. Despite several more strikes, I was unable to land another fish. It was a day of long distance releases, but it's hard to complain. I'm just happy to be fishing without a coat. 
Upper Kinni

No comments:

Post a Comment