Wednesday, March 18, 2015

March

Yesterday I got skunked, but there are worse ways to spend a beautiful March Day.


Despite good water temperatures, I wasn't able to find any interested fish. The water was a bit high and off color, so I think I was having trouble getting deep enough for the fish. It didn't help that the bright March sun shining through the currently leafless trees and casting harsh shadows on the water.


I'm also a bit out of practice on casting - I ruined a couple nice pools by getting snagged on overhanging branches and having to wade out to free my fly.


That's enough for excuses, though. I did see a lot of bugs on and around the water. What I believe were black stoneflies in the size 18 - 20 range were everywhere, as were some midges. I also found some nymphs under rocks(see pics below). There's food in the water and the temps are rising - we should be getting into good fishing soon!





A small mayfly nymph (~18) - possibly a BWO
A small caddis nymph (also ~18)

1 comment:

  1. You are a Trout Whisperer. If you didn't hook fish, no one can!

    ReplyDelete