Monday, March 21, 2016

A Few Meadow Brookies From Last Week

Last Thursday I was able to get out to a couple of my favorite wild brookie streams. Both have meadow sections in the place of former impoundments, which makes casting a breeze and provides an alternative to the woodland streams common around here. It was warm and sunny, but pretty windy, which made casting a little difficult. I saw some rises, but elected to use a streamer because it wouldn't require the same degree of casting accuracy.


I worked my way down through a meadow at the first stream, and it wasn't long before I pulled my first brookie out from under a log. He was aggressive, leaving the water after grabbing the fly.

Massachusetts Wild Native Brook Trout

Soon after I found another, but then the fishing slowed down. I tried one more pool by the car, one in which I have never caught a trout, and was surprised to find another brookie there.

Massachusetts Wild Native Brook Trout

After that I went to the other stream, which is conveniently located on the way home from the first stream. The wind was really picking up, so I went straight to my favorite pool, where I got one brookie, then went home.

Last year this was two channels flowing close to each other - at some point this winter the bank must have been breached

No comments:

Post a Comment