Monday, February 8, 2016

Super Trout Sunday






With cold temperatures on the way for the next few weeks, I decided I needed to get out yesterday. A friend and I left the house around 8 and were on the water by 9.

The action was slow at the first pool we tried, so we decided to move up to a spring-fed backwater where I found some nice fish last winter. My friend tried a couple casts, but he wasn't able to get the distance necessary to reach the fish without spooking them. I decided to give it a shot, and sure enough, I saw a boil and felt a tug on the first cast. I pulled in this nice brown on a variation of the salter fly from my last post.


We tried a little longer but didn't find any more fish in the backwater. Our time was limited, so we decided to try the first pool one more time.


This pool lies under a bridge and it's deep, probably at least 6 feet. Fish tend to pod up here in the winter, so I thought it was worth a second try. At first we found nothing, but then I let my streamer sink all the way to the bottom and inched it along slowly. It wasn't long before I saw a flash and felt a tug. I pulled up and this nice brookie went airborne trying to shake the hook. He was unsuccessful, and I was able to get a quick picture. He had a big head, but the rest of his body was quite skinny - I guess that's just a result of winter fasting?


A few minutes later my friend got this nice brown using the same slow and deep technique. Interestingly, the browns both seemed quite fat for their length, while the brookie was quite skinny.


We were out of time, so we drove home after a quick but satisfying day on the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment