Friday, February 19, 2016

Browns in the Rain

The forecast today called for a high in the mid 40s and scattered showers. That sounded like good fishing weather to me, so I decided to make a trip over to a tributary of the Kinni.

I arrived around 10 AM and started fishing under the bridge where I parked. There's a deep hole under the bridge, and I've found that the fish like to pod up there in the winter. Despite the warm temperatures, there was still a fair amount of ice around the edges of the pool, so I was limited in where I could cast. I started out with a yellow version of the Salter Fly I posted a few weeks back, stripping it slowly near the bottom. It wasn't long before I felt a tug and pulled in the first brown of the day.

I saw a few fish spook after I caught the first fish, so I decided to move to a new spot. Farther upstream there is a side channel about 100 yards long arising from a spring. At the head of the spring is a deep pool where I've had good luck in the past. I switched to a pink squirrel with a balloon indicator and began casting to the edges of the pool.

The spring is at the end of the channel on the right
On the second cast I saw the indicator go under and I pulled in what looked at first like a small trout, but turned out to be a chub. I kept fishing, and soon saw the indicator dip again. This time I knew I had something more substantial. It turned out to be the biggest brown of the day.


As I fished the spring the rains came, and soon reached a level I would no longer call a "shower". I was still catching fish though, so I couldn't stop just yet. I pulled in a few more browns, then went back and fished under the bridge to get shelter from the rain. That was enough for me, so I called it a day after catching 7 fish in 2 hours and turned for home.



 



2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous fish! I love fishing in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice fish, fishing in the rain is alot of fun, often really productive.

    ReplyDelete