Sunday, August 2, 2015

Blueberries and Brook Trout


Goldenrod
Yesterday I visited a small wild brook trout pond in southern Maine. The weather was perfect, with temperatures in the low 80s and low humidity. A cool breeze blowing from the nearby ocean also provided comfort, at the expense of easy casting.




The pond is no more than one acre in size, but it's full of brook trout, some up to 12". Springs feed the pond, keeping the water cold throughout the summer. The bottom is muddy, so it is ideally fished from a small boat, but I was able to find a spot where I could wade in far enough to cast. I caught 10 brook trout in the course of an hour, all on dries. The largest of the day was a fat 9" brookie that successfully evaded the camera.



About a quarter mile from the pond is a large meadow of wild blueberry bushes and wildflowers. I think I was a bit late for the blueberries this year, as they were not present in their normal densities, but there were still many to be found after a little hunting.
Wild Blueberries

\






No comments:

Post a Comment