Saturday, July 9, 2016

First Wisconsin Explorations

I made my move to Wisconsin last week, and I was able to get my first fishing trip this week. On my way from Madison to Minneapolis to visit some friends,  I stopped to check out a small stream flowing through a small group of hills. Based on the pictures I'd seen of this stream, I thought it would be more like the freestone streams I'm used to than the spring creeks common here.


I found the flow low, but quite cold. Despite the freestone character of this stream, it must have some springs feeding it. I tied on a mini hopper, and it wasn't long before I got hits. I found brook trout in most pools, ranging from 5-10", but my hook up ratio was terrible. I only landed one fish in the hour and a half I fished. It was a beautiful brook trout though, and as my first trout after the move it's at least somewhat special.


I've also discovered that wild black raspberries grow prolifically here. There are some in MA, but I've never seen those yield nearly as many berries as the bushes here.



I'm now working full-time during the week, but there is a trout stream abutting my office, so hopefully I'll get some before or after work fishing in once I get settled.

3 comments:

  1. First off, congratulations on completing your move to Wisconsin. Secondly, nice to see you broke through with your first Wisconsin Brookie. Pretty fish for sure............ Thirdly, those wild berries look very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ditto Mel - great looking trip to the water, plus, you got some yummy wild edibles there! Awesome! I hope Wisconsin treats you well - great state for anyone who enjoy's the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wild berries are the best part about summer small stream fishing!

    ReplyDelete