Monday, May 23, 2016

Bushwhacking for a Big Brookie

Yesterday I decided to explore the lower stretches of a stream I've fished once. The upper section has some nice brook trout, but it runs through people's backyards, so I didn't love fishing there. The lower section of the stream is within the floodplain of a large river, so it meanders slowly, with lots of deep bends and a few small beaver ponds.

A small wild brook trout stream in massachusetts

I figured this would be great habitat for some big brook or brown trout, the only problem was getting there. There are no formal public access points, but I found a place on the side of nearby road where I could park without bothering anyone. There's no trail, so I started bushwhacking through the woods. At first it was easy walking, but as I got closer to the stream things got tougher. I worked my way through poison ivy, stinging nettles (my arch-nemesis), and seemingly every thorny plant in existence, but I finally made it to the stream.

It didn't look like trout water at all, but it was plenty cold, probably thanks to springs arising from the nearby aquifer. These were tough conditions for fishing - the banks were high and the water dead calm, so it was hard to approach without spooking any fish.


After spooking many fish, including a brook trout of at least 10", I came upon a deep, shaded bend. Here I could present my fly without the fish darting. On my first cast a chub tried to grab my bugger, but I didn't hook it. I tried again, and this time something much larger emerged from the deep. I knew instantly it was a trout, and the fight was on. I fell down the bank into the water during the fight, but I was still able to net this beautiful brookie.

A big wild brook trout from a small stream in massachusetts

That was the only good-sized fish of the day, but it was totally worth the trip.

4 comments: