Saturday, October 10, 2015

A JT Special Variant

I was inspired by Jo's recent post on FlyFishMA to put my peacock herl to good use. I decided to try to imitate Jo's streamer pattern - the JT Special.



I didn't have any white marabou, so I substituted white crosscut rabbit, which I palmered and then propped up with my thread to form a wing. The final appearance is pretty similar to the original, but it will be interesting to see how the action of the rabbit in the water compares to marabou. In my experience, marabou compresses more in the water, but also moves more, so my variant will likely be a little fuller-bodied, but with less movement.

I can't wait to give this fly a shot at the Swift this winter!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Key in the Swift is to have flies *not* too heavy, as "vertical drag" will spook the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you fish streamers at the Swift? Upstream or down? Dead-drifted?

    ReplyDelete