Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Speed Up or Slow Down?: Some Thoughts on Fishing Speed

One element of fly fishing I've always found difficult is determining the amount of time to spend before moving to a new spot. Sometimes I feel I'm going too fast, while other times I feel I'm going too slow. Over time I've noted of some of the fishing situations that lead to those feelings in attempt to improve my approach in the future.

Trout


Trout are the fish I target most often, so let's begin with trout fishing.

When to Speed Up 


A stream fit for fast fishing

I've found it important to move fast when fishing small, high-gradient streams. The food supply in these streams tends to be the limiting factor in trout density. Because trout densities are low, each pool will likely have only one or two trout, and fish will tend to be in the best habitat - deep pools, undercut banks, and other areas with a lot of cover. This means you should fish faster, as trout will tend to be spread out. Skip over the less desirable habitat and head straight to the nice pools.

Once you get to the fish, another reason to speed up becomes apparent. Again due to the low food supply in these streams, fish are typically eager to strike a fly. If you make more than a couple casts to an area without a strike, the trout there are probably either spooked or not present at all.

I made the mistake of moving too slow when I started fishing small streams - I would try to get a perfect drift in every likely-looking part of the stream, but the few fish I caught were almost always on one of my first few casts. I soon realized that the fish in these streams didn't care if I got a perfect drift. I started moving quickly and subsequently started catching a lot more fish. The one thing to be careful of when moving fast is not to let the fish see you. Luckily, most streams where moving fast is helpful are high gradient enough that trout can't easily see what is going on around them.

When to Slow Down


A stream fit for slow fishing
On larger, lower gradient streams, I've found that slowing down is often a good idea. These streams tend to be more productive, so trout densities are much higher. The trout also become more selective, as they have more foods to choose from and don't have to eat everything they see to survive.

This means that trout will care a lot more about drift and fly selection, so it's worth staying in a spot for longer, especially if you're confident there are fish there. The trout in these streams can also see you a lot better in the flat water, so it's important to move slowly so as to not spook them. Lastly, low gradient streams tend to have a lot of sediment, so quick movement could ruin the fishing downstream.

When I fish in the Driftless I have to remind myself to slow down. I always catch more fish when i slow down, but it can be hard for me to get over my urge to move faster.

Bass

Bass tend to be solitary and bite relatively quickly if they are interested, so they should be fished similarly to small streams. Because most bass lakes are hard to access from shore, a boat is ideal to quickly move between spots.

Panfish

Panfish, on the other hand, usually live in schools, so I usually try to find the best spot and stay there. I'll move if I get bored and want to explore, but otherwise I'll typically stay in one spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment