Thursday, July 23, 2015

Back to the Remote Pond

A few weeks ago I revisited the remote pond from my previous post, this time with a friend. Geoff had never caught a trout before this outing, and based on my previous success I figured this pond was the perfect place for him to catch his first.

I worried I wouldn't be able to replicate my last trip there, but luckily the fish were cooperating. A recent rainfall meant that the many small streams and seeps feeding the pond were flowing strong, carrying frigid water down from a neighboring 4000' peak.

Geoff's First Trout

Simultaneous Hookups!
We moved along the shoreline, taking a few fish from each spot before moving on. Geoff caught most of his fish on a small Muddler Minnow stripped just below the surface, while I caught most of mine on a Royal Wulff fished in the same manner. Though Pond-Dwelling brook trout will take a dry left motionless on the surface, a retrieve of short strips seems to entice more strikes. I think the movement helps attract the attention of the fish near the bottom that otherwise may not have noticed the fly.
I saw this trout streak towards Geoff's muddler from the bottom of the pond. By the time I reacted it was in mid-air, fly in mouth.

This trout had only one eye... but that didn't stop it from taking Geoff's fly
By 3:00, having worked more than half of the shoreline and content with our many trout to hand, we called it a day and hiked back to the car. I haven't had many opportunities to fish in the last few weeks, but these two trips have more than made up for my dry spell.


Sheep Laurel and Wild Strawberries

No comments:

Post a Comment